Saturday, May 7, 2011

"God Jul" a Norsk Family Holiday Tradition

God Jul a Norsk Family Holiday Tradition
                                  
Growing up as a grandson in a very dedicated Norwegian family,  I had the opportunity of being exposed to many traditional Norwegian customs around Christmas.   I also found a lot of similar family and relative situations as described in the essay “A Woebegone Holiday Dinner” and the musical DVD by Norwegian born and Ballard entertainer Stan Boreson, “You Just Go Nuts at Christmas”.   Now as I grow older I find myself sharing and teaching these same traditions to my nephews.
From the time I was born I spent Christmas eve and day at my Grandmother’s house.  All our relatives who lived anywhere within a four hour drive would arrive to spend the holiday together and exchange gifts for all the kids in the family.  As the only boy I usually did quite well on the gift receiving side of things.  You would find my grandmother and older aunts all gathered in the kitchen preparing dishes, baking, and chatting faster than you could understand anyone.  Dads, uncles, and grandfathers would be gathered around the T.V watching football games and talking about current events. I would join the kids down in the basement were an eating area was setup for us with folding chairs and tables. There would be sparkling cider or 7 Up with cherry syrup for us to drink.   Later on into the day you could start to hear some of the ladies arguing in the kitchen or someone’s wife telling there husband no more beer.  Usually things would remain pretty level but every now and then there would be a family matter fight over who got what after the passing of a relative etc...
The traditions that I have kept and maintained from my childhood for Christmas or “God Jul” are focusing on the simple memories.  Visiting Larsen’s bakery in Ballard and ordering one of their famous Kringles to have for Christmas morning.  We would have heart shaped waffles with lingberry sauce to also go with the holiday brunch.  Items such as rice pudding with one almond in the serving and whoever finds the one almond will receive a special gift.   A marzipan pig usually is placed in each kids stocking as a treat along with other European chocolates and treats.  We plan songs from the older years and have special deorations that have been passed down from generation to generation.   I have seen changes however in todays children tend to play their games and entertainment with computers, I-Pods, and XBOX 360 systems.
Later in life you realize just how good and simple life was and can reflect with a smile just how special many people had made it and how they are now greatly missed and how to begin to fill the vacant shoes left behind by their passing.  You now are the father, uncle, aunt, grandmother or grandfather who must do their very best to keep tradition alive in your family.

No comments:

Post a Comment